Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Entering/ Leaving a House part 2

Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal said: ‘When a person enters his house, it is recommended that he/she creates noise by coughing or tapping his/hershoes.’ His son Abdullah said: ‘Whenreturning home from the mosque, myfather used to announce his arrival before entering, by tapping with his shoes or coughing.’Bukhari and Muslim reported that the Prophet denounced those who unexpectedly surprise their families at night, whether returning from travel or otherwise, because it makes them appear to be distrustful.2.5 SEEKING PERMISSION TO ENTERIf family members are resting in their rooms, and you want to join them, it is appropriate to ask for permission and/or knock on the door. Otherwise,you may see them in a condition that you, or they for that matter, may not like. This applies to your entire household; your immediate family orotherwise. In the Muwata by ‘Ata ibn Yasãr,Imam Malik narrated that a man asked the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) the following: ‘Should Iseek permission to enter my mother’sroom?’ The Prophet answered, ‘Yes.’ The man said, ‘We live together in thesame house.’ The Messenger of Allah(صلى الله عليه وسلم) said, ‘Ask for permission to join her.’ The man argued, ‘But, I am her servant.’ The Prophet said, ‘Ask for permission. Would you like to see her naked?’ Theman replied, ‘No!’ The Prophet said, ‘Then ask permission when entering.’A man asked ‘Abdullah bin Mas’wüd: ‘Should I ask permission to enter my mother’s room?’ He answered him, ‘Yes. There are certain circumstances in which you would rather not see her. ‘ Zaynab, the wife of ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’wüd said that upon reaching the door, ‘Abdullah used to make noise, fearing that he might surprise us andencounter an embarrassing situation. A man asked Huzaifa ibn Al-Yamãn, ‘Should I ask permission to enter my mother’s?’ Huzaifa replied, ‘Yes, if you do not ask for her permission, you may encounter an embarrassing situation.’Müsa the son of the companion Talha ibn ‘Obaidillah said: ‘My father went to my mother’s room. I followed him as he entered, he turnedtoward me and pushed me down forcing me to sit. Then he reprimanded me: ‘How dare you to enter without permission?’Nafi,’ the patron of ‘Abdullah bin Omar said: ‘When any of Ibn Omar’s children come of age, Ibn Omar would assign him/her another room.He would not allow any of them to enter his room without permission.’‘Ata bin Abi Rabãh asked Ibn ‘Abbas: ‘Should I seek permission when calling on my two sisters?’ Ibn Abbasanswered, ‘Yes.’ I said: ‘I am their guardian, supporter and provider of their needs.’ He said, ‘Would you rather see them naked?’ Then he readthe Quranic verse, ‘And when the children among you come of age, let them ask for permission, as do those senior to them in age; thus does Allah make clear His signs. Allah is full of knowledge and wisdom.’ Thus, Ibn ‘Abbas concluded that asking permission is obligatory for all people. Ibn Mas’wüd said: ‘A person should seek permission whenever entering the room of a father, mother, brother and sister.’ Jãber also said: ‘A person should seek permission whenever entering the room of a son, a daughter, a mother -even if she is old, a brother, a sister, or a father.’from the book ISLAMIC MANNERSBy Shaykh Abdul-Fattaah Abu Ghuddah (RA)

No comments:

Post a Comment