Saturday, February 20, 2016

Ch 9.2: Inside the House

Isabella continued to remain silent with bowed head. But on persistent questioning from Peter and Michael she was compelled to open her lips.Isabella: I have not yet accepted Islam but continue to remain Christian.Michael: If you have not yet accepted Islam, do you intend to accept it in future?Isabella: Why do you ask me about future? I can put the same question toyou.Michael: Then tell me what is your opinion about Islam?Isabella: I do not abuse Islam like others for in the Muslim sacred Books Christ is praised and Muslims speak well of him.Michael: Then you love Islam and Muslims?Isabella: You may call it love or anything else. Anyway I am not ungrateful. If Muslims respect our Christ, then I also must respect their Prophet and their Sacred Book.Peter: So it is clear now that in your heart you have become a Muslim, otherwise you would not have so praised Islam and Muslims. But now tell me what do you think about the religion you have been believing, thatis Christianity.Isabella: I have faith in the Bible and all revealed books, but I do not accept the flaws which later Christians have introduced in religion.Head Priest (addressing Michael, Peter and Isabella’s mother): Now you have known her ideas. There is no other remedy to it except the sword.Peter: Please give me time. I will explain to her and she will surely be reformed. I will remove her misunderstandings. Anyway, she has studied books on theology.Head Priest: Well, you may try and see, otherwise I will think of some other remedy for her.After this talk the meeting dispersed and the head priest, taking Peter and Michael with him, left for the great church as there was a large crowd of Christians of Spain to see the relics (bones, etc.) of Prophets and the headpriest. They had come from long distances to participate in the ceremony and the head priest had gone to bless thousands of Christians.The priests having left, Isabella went to her room and silently thought about her future. She was now convinced that she was sure to be putto torture and she will have to face severe trials. Yet she found her mind at ease and heart strong and prepared to meet all troubles.She took out a paper from her table and wrote a letter to her friend Mirano (daughter of Priest Michael) to the following effect:“My dear sister!“Last night at nine I attended the meeting of Muslim divines at which my spiritual father Umar Lahmi and other divines were present. How can Idescribe its atmosphere, my sister ! A wonderful spiritual assembly it was. My participation in it greatly fortified my heart. I wish you were also present there. I have made a promise with their spiritual leader Ziad b. Umar to take you with me tomorrow or day after to them. A strange thing happened today. It appears that I am going to be put to trial. Pray that God may keep me ever on the right path. Itso happened that my father got someinformation about me that I have embraced Islam and so he called your father [Michael] and Peter to his house and many questions were asked from me. Now, just fancy with my father on one side and Michael and Peter on the other, in what difficult position I was placed. But I also gave them stunning replies. Now, Peter has given promise to my father that he will make me understand. If any such occasion comes you must also be present along with other three friends. Other details I will give you verbally.“Your sister, Isabella.”After finishing the letter she called her maidservant and told her to go toMirano and bring from her a book. She also gave her the letter which, she said, was lying with her for some time and asked her to deliver it to Mirano. The maid-servant did as shewas ordered and, going to Michael’s house, gave the letter to Mirano, who immediately opened and read it and said to the maid-servant that she willherself bring the book in the evening.Isabella and her other friends met together in the evening in the same garden in which Isabella had first heard the talk of Umar Lahmi. She informed her friends all that had happened and consulted them. It was also decided that next evening they should all go to attend the meeting of Ziad b. Umar and also inform him of everything. After enjoying the evening walk of the garden all the girls left for their respective homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment